Though we have only been open a year since our major renovation, Mad River Barn has become a destination spot for special events, including weddings, rehearsal dinners and birthday parties. We are honored. We put together an EVENTS PAGE on our website to give you more details about what we offer. We also wanted to give you our thoughts on a few things you must remember when planning a special event. Hope they help.
1. What kind of event do you want to have? Will it be casual, rustic, formal, country, sit down meals, buffet…? The answers to these questions will help you decide on the best place for you. For example, The Mad River Barn can do sit down meals for around 70 people inside (perfect for a birthday party or rehearsal dinner) but for a larger group of people, you’ll want to have a tented affair on our expansive backyard. If you are looking for a formal event, the best venues will be hotels and resorts that have banquet rooms, especially built for those types of events. So…once you decide on the type of event, you can narrow down the location.
Appetizers? Sit Down Meal? Buffett? Understanding your budget will help you with this decisions.
2. What’s your budget. There are a lot of little details that can add up. Are you picking up people from the airport, are you giving gifts to all out of town visitors, are you having an open bar…get some estimates on costs of locations, catering, services, cars and more.
Give a friend the task of making sure the cake is set up just the way you want it.
3. Give everyone some jobs. To try and manage an event by yourself is tough. Delegate if you can.
Hanging flowers, vintage pictures, Celtic dancing… What are your family traditions?
4. Are there some family traditions you’d like to add? Grandma might really like to have a tradition brought into play. Or maybe it is a slideshow of family pictures on a big screen…it is things like this that make the event truly special.
A DIY table setting by Joanne Palmisano, our designer, for DIY NETWORK
5. Don’t get overwhelmed or stressed, take one piece at a time, keep it fun and it will go smoothly. Remember, your special event is about being together and memories, so that should always be at the top of your checklist.
Special details like this can be added to your checklist.
6. Put together a detailed checklist. This way, you won’t forget anything. The location, the cake, the music, the rooms, the food…everything. Make sure you have all the contact information, and confirm everything a day or two before the event. Don’t just assume it, better to be sure, than have someone forget. That way, event day will be more relaxing and flow more smoothly.
This room at Mad River Barn is perfect for a family. What kind of lodging do your guests need?
7. Give your guests a list of accommodations, car rental information and things to do in the area and then let them take it from there. If you have blocked out some rooms, they can call with your name and get themselves on the list.
Your special event is really about people and being together.
8. Have fun…remember, you are planning an event in Vermont, because you love the beautiful, atmosphere and relaxed setting a country inn can give you. Go with the flow and you will have amazing memories of your special event.
We wish you the best in planning your special event.
Don’t forget to check out what some folks have said about having an event at Mad River Barn.
Have fun planning! Heather and Andrew